Friday, September 21, 2012

Stir Up Yourself!

Reading from the Book of II Timothy 1:5-9
II Timothy1:5 when I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice and,I am persuaded, is in thee also.Therefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God which is in thee through the putting on of my hands.For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner; but be thou a partaker of the afflictions of the Gospel according to the power of God,who hath saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but in accordance with His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before the world began.

It appears that Timothy was getting fearful, weary, and unsure of his call. His spirit was sinking. So Paul came in with a strong word to revive him. Paul reminded him of his faith and how it came to him. He told him in essence, "I remember your grandmother's faith. I remember your mother's faith. I remember when I laid my hands on you and we prayed for you to receive the gifts that are in you." Then he said, "Now stir up the gift that is in you."

Nobody can stir up your gift, that fire within you, the way you can. Other people can stir you up, but as soon as you are alone, you can grow cold again. That is when you have to stir up yourself. Pray, worship, and praise God. Remember what He has spoken to you. Preach to yourself if you have to. Just do whatever it takes for you to stay stirred up in God!

Stir Up Yourself!

1 comment:

Gods Modern Day Martyr said...

Father God, I declare that You have not given me a spirit of fear. You have given me a spirit of power and of love and of a calm, well-balanced mind and of discipline and self-control. (II Timothy 1:7). Thank You, Father.
Amen